Search

Sunday, October 2, 2011

Pizza to the rescue!


       Hello to all my loyal readers and those of you just dropping in be it in error or in search of a recipe, I hope your all doing well.  I realize I haven't updated my blog in what seems like ages, I've been occupied with physically trying to realize my dreams (in other words searching for work).   I have been on a few interviews and have had the honor of interviewing for a personal chef position for a "high profile" writer and his family.  No, I wasn't hired, however, he had his assistant contact me to let me know they liked me very much and will keep my information in case someone within their network needs a chef.  Let's face it, I have not graduated yet, they probably felt someone with a degree and experience would have been more what they needed and that's what they got, but it was so nice of them to offer a reference if a situation were to come up, I appreciate that greatly, who does that?  Very cool.   I have another interview for a personal chef position next week, wish me luck!  They want me to prepare them a three course meal, healthy meal that is, should be fun.
       It's been a bit hectic here, my car broke down and I've turned to the bus while it's repaired, walking the long stretches of road towards the bus stop in this very hot weather is what makes it something of a nuisance, but it is in situations like this when you realize who your "real" friends are.  My co-worker picks me up for work and takes me home and a classmate will pick me up and drop me off once classes begin again, which will be this coming Tuesday, so I only take the bust once a day to drop my daughter off at school.  Once upon a time I stopped believing there were good people out there who cared and went out of their way for someone, but there are and as my good friend drives me home at the end of the day, I count my blessings and always ask myself  "would I do this for them"?  The answer comes almost as quickly as the questiom "yes...yes, I would.  
          Yes, I still want to move abroad, yes, I still want to write and am doing so, I don't want anyone to think I've let go of my dreams, it's just I must find more work to be able to do the traveling, of course, if  I would just finish my novel and try and publish it and actually got it published, I 'd be able to actualize my dreams without the worry of looking for more work, but for now this is my life.  So, I calculated how long I've been in Florida, it's been two years, two months and a few days and the truth is .....I still don't like it, it's a republican state and Palm Beach has been dubbed "Corruption County"  due to the indictment of about five politicians and some goings on in the public school system, that along with the fact I'm not happy with the education system here and my eldest daughter is bored at school, feeling the school leaves something to be desired.   We've taken to looking for the "good" in Florida and that would be the beautiful beaches, Key West and well the search itself yields some "peace of mind".  
        Where my "love life" is concerned, does friends and family count?  Or how about me? Does a relationship with myself count?  I really hope so, because my "romantic" life is just as dry as the drought we were having here a few months ago, my thoughts on the romantic side of things now is maybe he's not in Florida, maybe he's another reason why I need to leave here, because he's in Ireland or Italy or ...or...who knows, I am deeply in love with cooking and with the person I have become, in love with the idea of working my way to Europe even though I've read the economic situation there is going from bad to worse, I don't care, I'm going.  Now as I wrote this I wondered what has helped me get through my trying times in the past months, you all know the answer, cooking, but what exactly, well ...Pizza, since the kids and I love pizza so much, I decided I should perfect pizza dough and make pizza more often, because that's our "comfort food" since Brooklyn, pizza has been a family favorite, so I will share with you a photo and recipe for an easy pizza dough and topping.  Thank you so much for reading, please leave comments, I look forward to that, take care!         

EASY PIZZA DOUGH

1 package active dry yeast
2/3 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
4 cups of flour
1 tablespoon of sugar
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 cup of warm water
  In a bowl pour 2/3 cup of warm water, 1 teaspoon sugar and packet of yeast, let stand for five to ten minutes.   In large bowl add flour, salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, olive oil and some water and yeast mixture (don't add the whole cup of water at once, add a bit at a time until all mixture is incorporated and a ball is formed).  Knead the dough mix on a floured surface until it is smooth and pliable.  Put some olive oil in a bowl and place your kneaded dough in it, coat all the dough with the oil, then cover it loosley with plastic wrap or a wet towel.  Let it proof in a microwave or dark, room temp area for about 45 minutes.  When the dough is doubled in size, place it on flat surface and form it into the shape you desire (I used a round pizza pie pan),  place it on pan coated with olive oil or semolina your choice, you can place the sauce on it now and toppings desired, the topping in the photo is sauteed onions with mushroom, which has a lightly sweet and earthy flavor and I have to say is well-liked  in my home add your mozzarella cheese under or over sauce or both if you wish, and voila!!!  Home-made pizza, enjoy good friends!!!  



Post a Comment