Search

Culinary Chronicles: Road through Culinary school, foods I like, recipes and more!

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

THE SCANT SCALLOP



     Hello my good people, I hope you all had a happy Easter Sunday and have been well.  I know, I know, once again I've strayed from blogging, but know that I have been cooking and pondering great recipes to share with you all.  Just to update you on my latest shenanigans, I quit my job at the supermarket, turns out they only wanted me to make sandwiches and clean the kitchen, oh well... I've been surviving Florida without a car at first due to low finances, now by choice.  You see I figured if I want to move on I have to save money, so I ditched the car and car insurance and have joined the thousands of commuters who everday walk long stretches of road to make the next Palm Tran bus to their destination.  If your lucky the buses arrive every half hour, but mostly it seems the buses arrive when they arrive, there's just no telling. The good thing is that you can purchase a monthly bus pass for as low as ten dollars at the "Palm Tran Connection" office in Lake Worth, you must take four pay stubs and ID (just thought I'd throw that in there)


      There's even more news....wait for it.......I QUIT MY JOB!  The other job in Special Ed, the one I've worked for more than three years, that one.  Yes, yes I did it!  And the very second I handed in my letter of resignation a huge weight was lifted off of my being and I immediately felt free!  I started going to work with a bounce in my step and exotic jewelry, the happiness was shining through and my co-workers noticed.  But what is she going to do? I know that's what your thinking....well, I'm moving out of Florida, oh yeah!  No, not to Europe, not yet anyway.  It's best I not say where just yet, I want to actually be there when I announce it, I'm a bit superstitous that way.  Just know Leslie is going to make it happen for herself or at the very least try.  You can't be afraid to leave yuur "dead end" job for the "unknown" because the "unknown" could turn out to be better.  My last day at work is April 24th and I can't wait.  My friends say they will miss me, but there's no need to friends wherever I go you have a home, how's that?



     Sorry to keep you for so long from my recipe for "scallops" or "scant scallops, I call them that because I didn't use any fancy sauces or garnishes, I kept it real simple because sometimes simplicity yields great flavor too.  After I was done preparing this dish, I had to take a minute to just look at it, take it in the beauty of it and figure out how I was going to eat it.  It was simple, I sprinkled a little lemon over the scallops, cut one and put it in my mouth, WOW!  I got an explosion of flavor and some light crunch from both the searing of the scallop and the ground pistachio, that's right, pistachio!  So below find my recipe for scant scallops, try it, enjoy it and please feel free to leave a comment or a question.  Before I go I'd like to mention I've been told by various people that the process to join my site is difficult and that's why they haven't, so I checked it out and realized that if you sign in to your email account, then attempt to join my site it works out very well.  Thank you for reading and enjoy!

SCANT SCALLOPS

3 large scallops or the amount you need
4 pistachios
1/2 of a lemon
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1/2 cup spring mix greens
2 tablespoons of olive oil

     Listen up, this goes for any type of meat or produce you sear or brown.  Always, always dry your meat, shellfish, fish or produce before attempting to sear.  Why? Because you've just heated a pan with some oil and then your going to go and add water to it, that cools it down and won't allow the food to brown properly, if at all.  Place the spring mix leaves on a plate and cut the half lemon in half and set it aside for while. Now take your scallops one at a time and dry them with a paper towel, set them down on a dry plate, okay?  Heat your pan. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and set them aside a minute.  Take your shelled pistachios and put them in a blender or food processor add the tiniest amount of salt and grind them.  Now add  the olive oil to the pan and let it heat a bit more.  Once the oil is hot, add in your DRY scallops, you should hear that sizzling sound.  It's no crime to gently lift a scallop to check it's color, but in my experience three minutes on one side and three minutes on the other will do it.  Remove the scallops from the pan onto your bed of spring mix leaves, sprinkle the ground pistachio over it, then drizzle some lemon on it and enjoy!









No comments: