Search

Culinary Chronicles: Road through Culinary school, foods I like, recipes and more!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Birthday Sandwich

     Kids,Work, kids, school, kids, work, kids, school, kids, work, kids, school etc......This is how my life goes and somewhere during the week, I start to feel guilty for not being there to cook my kids an incredible dinner or hold my six year old when she's not feeling good or celebrate my older daughters' fourteenth birthday.  I had class on her birthday and it was lab day as well, it's not good to be out on lab day, it's a high percentage of your grade, I asked my daughter if she wanted me to stay home, be with her for her birthday, she said no, so I planned out a mini birthday celebration that would fit into the hour and a half I have from the time I get home to the time I have to leave for school.  I stopped into "Publix" a popular supermarket here in Florida, where you will more likely than not find what your looking for where ingredients are concerned, not the cheapest of supermarkets, but does carry quality stuff. 

I picked up some smoked Gruyere cheese, capocollo, mortadella, salsalito turkey a loaf of soft Italian bread and a beautiful chocolate cake with chocolate covered strawberries on top and fresh strawberries in the middle.  I grabbed her favorite "Arizona" iced tea and headed for the register.  After I picked the kids up from school I left them watching tv and went to work on what I dubbed the "Birthday sandwich"  Slicing a piece of the Italian bread open and putting two slices of Gruyere cheese on it, two slices of capocollo, two slices of mortadella and two slices of salsalito turkey, I finished it with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.  We each had a sandwich served with "Lays" wavy potato chips on the side.  What a hit!  The girls loved the sandwich, especially the "birthday girl", she likes trying new things and very much enjoyed it.  Afterwards I placed the strawberry chocolate cake on the table and my six year old and I sang "happy birthday", we then enjoyed a lovely slice of the decadent cake and went to heaven........ My favorite part was the enjoyment on my daughters' face and making the most out of a cramped day.  Below find the ingredients and method for the "birthday sandwich" in "recipe form" , enjoy!

Birthday Sandwich 


2 slices of smoked Gruyere cheese
2 slices of Mortadella
2 slices of salsalito turkey
2 slices of capocollo
loaf of Italian bread
olive oil
salt
pepper
bag of "Lays" wavy potato chips

Cut a piece of Italian bread, slice open, add Gruyere cheese, mortadella, turkey and capocollo, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, serve with potato chips on the side. Enjoy!!


No comments: