Search

Culinary Chronicles: Road through Culinary school, foods I like, recipes and more!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

"Ossobuco" fall in love!

       It's Saturday night and here I sit once again, in front of my computer after having been out with the kids running errands, cleaning up the place, reading my Julia Child biography and thinking back to yesterday a little.  I won't go into detail because my good friend Jay in New York prohibits me from going back to the past, although I sometimes defy her wishes and do so anyway.  In a nutshell, I recieved a metaphorical "slap in the face" and almost sank back into "sadness mode", as if by magic Jay calls and without wanting to hear about my woes, simply tells me to cut the crap and metaphorically "slapped some sense into me" thanks for that Jay, I admire your stregnth and wish I could tackle all of lifes obstacles as you do.  I still fell briefly however, I pulled myself up by reminding myself that I can fulfill my destiny and get where I want to be only by persevering and not allowing sadness to rule me.

     As I washed the dishes I tried to think of a food that reminded me of love because I remembered Valentines day is afoot, it was hard to do perhaps because I wasn't hungry or didn''t feel very valentinish (single), but I wanted a special recipe on here for that occasion .  I struggled with it a bit, then remembered a comment I made to a classmate the night I prepared the "Ossobuco" I said  "G" "Ossobuco makes you fall in love"!  his reply was "it does?  I'll take your word for it"! as he rushed out of the building.  So there I had it a food that exudes love "Ossobuco", but only if prepared correctly that is and eaten as it is intended to be eaten and shared with that "special someone".   I know, I know, I'm such a romantic it's sickening, but I can't change that, the world needs romantics and I happen to be one by nature, therefore, the world needs me?  Sure!

     Preparing the Ossobuco (braised veal shank) was an exciting experience, I couldn't wait to actualize the recipe and form an opinion on it.  The process is a simple one, sear, then braise, what your looking for is that the meat practically slides off the bone, not completely because you want that bone for your eating experience, just until it's tender and a bit detached.  Served with mushroom and gorgonzola polenta or risotto milanese, it can send palates to new destinations, engolf you in a feeling of warmth and make hearts soar.  I packed my portion up and took it home where I could focus on the flavors and textures and create for you a profile, which I feel I did, below find the recipe and method, enjoy!




OSSOBUCO

2 veal shanks 1 inch thick
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
2oz flour
1oz of olive oil
1/2 clove of garlic
2oz carrots/diced (in small cubes)
1 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest
4 oz of white wine
1 pint of veal stock or beef stock
1 tablespoon of tomato paste
2 small spoons

    Season flour with salt and pepper, dredge each shank in flour, heat pan then add olive oil, brown shanks on both sides, remove shanks and hold.  Add carrots, lemon zest and garlic to pan, deglaze with white wine add tomato paste and veal/beef stock.  Cover pot (aluminum foil is fine) Braise in the oven at 350 for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until fork tender.  Serve with polenta or risotto both of these offer the smooth texture that goes so well with the shanks.  There is a correct way to partake in eating Ossobuco, you should have two small spoons (small enough to fit into the bones' center) one for you and one for your guest, you dip the spoon into the marrow of the bone, (whcih is located in the center and is gel like) spread the marrow over the meat and indulge in the experience that is Ossobuco. Fall in love!!!!   




No comments: