Search

Culinary Chronicles: Road through Culinary school, foods I like, recipes and more!

Sunday, March 13, 2011

HAPPY SAINT PATRICKS' DAY!

          Have been super busy lately and extremely focussed on school, it's my last week in Global Cuisine hooraaahhh!  Finals are next week and students must prepare an entree and appetizer using a pork tenderloin and shrimp, then a written exam of a hundred questions yikes!  I've made it this far so I'm pretty sure I'll make it through next week.  The endless hostility from a couple of  male classmates will not be missed, it baffles me though that I haven't allowed it to affect me deeply like I used to, I write it off as what I've dubbed "high and mighty chef syndrome",  ignore them and move on, good for me I'm strong/stronger.

      Saint Patricks' Day is upon us and it's a serious thing here in Florida, so I thought I'd dedicate an entry to it, I'm going to wear a "kiss me I'm Irish" tee shirt, no, I'm not Irish, but I figure it won't hurt to get into the spirit of it, maybe draw in some "luck of the Irish",  of my own, although I've been pretty fortunate as it is, the extra luck couldn't hurt, I'll need it to complete my goals this year.  The big staple for Saint Patricks' Day is corned beef with cabbage and potatoes, so I whipped up a version of my own, below find my very own recipe for beef medallions and cabbage with roasted potatoes,  carrots and baby portobello mushrooms, and a photo of that endeavor, it is simple to prepare and won't keep you for hours waiting for corned beef.  Take your time, have fun and enjoy!

Beef Medallions with cabbage  roasted potatoes, carrots and mushroom

4  1" beef medallions
1/2 cup flour
3 cups beef stock/broth
1 large carrot
4 medium potatoes
1/2 head of cabbage sliced
8 baby bella mushrooms
4 cloves of garlic minced
1 shallot small dice 
1 tablespoon butter 
salt and pepper
olive oil as needed

        Heat pan, melt butter, sear the beef medallions until brown on both sides, set aside.  Saute shallots and garlic.  Mix flour into 2 cups stock add to pan, stir until thickened return medallions to pan and let simmer about 10 minutes.  Slice cabbage as it is, so it's in strands, bring 1 cup of broth to a simmer place cabbage in broth, let simmer 8 minutes.  Clean potatoes and carrots, slice potatoes in quarters, cut carrot into 8 pieces, remove stems from mushrooms douse potatoes, carrots and mushroom in olive oil add salt and pepper place on sheet pan or whatever you have available and bake at 350  for 10 minutes. There you have it my recipe for a Saint Patricks' Day dinner, you'll love it I promise, below find proof, take care "Eirinn go Brách" and HAPPY SAINT PATRICKS' DAY!!




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can cook for me anytime! looks great!

-Guy